Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Marzocchi SF 848 forks disassembled

I pulled the forks apart last night to figure out if in fact I can service them or make any valve adjustments. 

I disassembled them down to the shims, (photos bellow,) cleaned everything and reassembled. fresh fork oil topped off but after a test ride I can tell I need to remove some off the top. 




all shims have inner diameter of 8mm and will be shown as width x thickness 
Starting with the compression Valve - 
Compression -23x.1 / 22x.1 / 21x.1 / 20x.1 / 17x.1 / 15x.15 
check valve shim - 23x.315 

(forgot to take a photo with shims before i reassembled it) 






 Rebound shims also hav inner dimeter of 8mm and will follow same width x thickness. Rebound- 23x.1 / 23x.1 / 20x.1 / 20x.1 /19x.1 / 17x.1 / 15x.2 / 11x.25Check valve shims- 22x.1 / 22x.1 / 18x.1 / 22x2.0 -( this is a thicker tapered shim )
 

Lastly the compression Adjuster and the top out spring. I did notice while the cartridge was out, at the top of the fork tube is a thick 20mm tall rubber bumper that probably assist the top out spring.
 The forks come from marzocchi with the spring sitting on top of the preload spacer. The first couple time I did this I replaced it like this. I did notice it was very noisy and the spring did a lot of flexing. this time around I placed the spring in first with a  home made ABS adaptr to keep the new preload  spacer aligned on top of the spring ( I didnt use the spacer on the left in the photo below) .  the guide added 6mm of preload with a spacer of 113 mm and a 2mm washer. A total of 121 mm of preload. The sping is an .85 kg from racetech. (270mm in length). Before adding the springs I filled the forks to 108 mm (from top of fork) with Motul Expert light 5w . After I reassembled i took it out for a ride and found that I need to pull some more oil out. I measured the height before i disassembled and it was all the way down to 280 mm. Not sure I'll make it that low next round , but it does need a reduction. 




mileage -18,980 
      I pulled 100cc out of each fork this morning.  Based on a couple volume calculators , using a 50mm for fork width  i came up with about 20cc per 1cm. so I'm estimating about I pulled out about 50mm of fluid. height, Dropping my oil height to around 160mm - out for a test ride. Current damping is - 
compression - all the way out / No damping adjustment. 
rebound - L- 1turn out / R 1/2 turn out 



No comments:

Post a Comment