Tuesday, November 28, 2017

FORK update

last update was a refresh of the forks. I tried to document with photos as I went along. shortly after the reassembly i had a couple thoughts of details I forgot to document. First was internal diameter of the valve shims. -  8MM

After a test ride I was still unhappy with the compression. My first thought was to reshim,Guessing based on the already factory installed shim. after a couple days of brewing on this I thought back to an accidental documentaion of a photo I took of the compression valve and its shims.

How does this valve allow any flow at all ? The Base is torqued down with a couple shims to allow minimuim flex. This is where cause for reason meets the old saying " cant get worse than this" 
refrencing the rebound valve i measured out the spacing and delivered to my local machine shop to have the base machined down to allow more flow. 



Before and after. about 10mm machined down to allow the shims to actually flex and flow. but why stop there. The Dr. was already. I noticed the flow out of the compression valve adjuster was minimal so i machined it out a bit to also allow more flow. 


The flow out of the Compression adjustment valve is minimal and flows around the fork internal cartridge so I cut out a little slot to allow more flow. Maybe a fraction but it gives a wider range of adjustment. All in worth the effort. The forks are still firm but way more compliant. What can you really expect from a couple inches of travel.  Seriously though the suspension travel feels more balanced than ever. though the front still had a small suspension travel judder that I couldn't explain after taking the forks back apart. damn the judder was bugging me. Was it something in the fork I missed. ....... ? I rode it for about a month before I realized it want the forks. ---- next post 
I also Added a new preload spacer that would allow me to pull the cap without using a compressor !!! 









No comments:

Post a Comment